10.14.2007

random observations on a sunday

It's Sunday morning - almost 10:00. I'm waiting at a Starbucks for my son to get finished with Sunday School.

OOH! Shakedown Street by the Grateful Dead is on now. ROCK ON!!!

So anyway - here I sit. Drinking overpriced coffee, blogging on an overpriced laptop, hooked up via overpriced WiFi.

Ain't America Great?!?!

Unfortunately - there aren't a lot of freaks here now, or I'd snap a picture and post it for your perusal. Basically just parents and their kids, a couple of old guys reading the paper, and some 40-something dude with - get this - two earrings in his left ear, and one in the right.

He just turned his head - long sideburns too! STAY HOT! (Quote attribution - JL)

At least the woman he's with looks normal. Pretty cool glasses. She genuinely looks interested in what Captain Tool is saying. He must be talking about how he thinks that global warming is SUCH a crisis - and how we're not doing enough to save the planet. He probably wants her to think globally, and act locally. All this while he sucks off the corporate teat.

Of course, he could be telling her about "this chick he banged like a rented gong," last night - y'know, trying to impress her with his prowess. Doubt it.

Nobody new has sat down in a while. Nothing new to report.

However - there's a dude sitting in the comfy chairs wearing - get this - a long sleeve, freshly pressed, Polo Oxford shirt. It's good look. Clean, Crisp, Classic. NOW - the bad part. Old boy is wearing a pair or navy blue athletic shorts. Yikers. Now of course, I'm not exactly the most fashionable dude right now. Pair of Jeans, Black Sweatshirt, Michigan State hat. College Casual. But I'm not faking it like that dude.

His 'ensemble' is like the mullet - the hairstyle of choice for Guidos and Rednecks everywhere. The top says business - the back says PARTY.

ROCK ON! Touch of Grey by the Dead is on now.

Anyway - back to Mullet Man. He's a walking mullet! The freshly pressed Polo Oxford says "business" - and the Athletic Shorts say "PARTY ON WAYNE!" Upon further review - he might get his eyebrows waxed too... But I digress.

Three little chippies are here now. All with the same clothing. It's like Mr. Abercrombie and Mr. Fitch threw up all over over them. It's funny. During our adolescence, we strive to be individuals. Yet by trying to be an individual, we end up dressing, talking, acting, and essentially BEING like everyone else. There's literally NO difference between any of them.

They probably all ordered a half-caf, no-fat, low-foam, gingerbread spice, triple pump vanilla, soy latte... Again - STAY HOT! (Thanks again JL)

The kid sitting athte table next to me is cracking me up. He's probably 3, and he's totally messing with his Dad. Totally smack talking. And NOT in a smart-assed way. He's really cute, and sweet about the whole thing. I half expect him to say, "Chill Pops. I'm just breaking your balls man. No worries."

Sugar Magnolia is on now.

Which brings me to a thought. I dig the Dead. No problem with them, whatsoever. I owe that to a ex-roommate of mine. But anyway - I'm really more of a B-Side guy. Play the obscure stuff. "Greatest Hits" releases are for pansies. Play Bertha. Play Help is on the Way. Play Slipknot.

OK - I've got my free iTunes download card. Thanks Corporate America.

Cute girl just sat at the table in front of me. Boston Red Sox sweatshirt. BIG textbooks. SMALL cell phone. Messy hair. Caramel Machiatto drinker. Hmmm. Reserving judgment on that one. And thank GOD - not wearing FLIP FLOPS!!!

God, I hate flip flops. They're the "sweatpants" of footwear. NOTHING says, "I'm the laziest person on the planet," like a pair of sweatpants and flip flops.

Wow. It's 10:15 already. Time to go, I guess. I might have to hit Krispy Kreme with the boy after I pick him up from Sunday School.

God likes donuts.

(Bloging all of this was SO worth the $6 to rent Starbucks WiFi.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i am honored and touched! SEE... STAY HOT works EVERYWHERE!

Flip Flops. For YEARS I couldn't wear them. (the whole thing between my toe thing) But then... I got a pair of wedges w/ the thing between the toe and now I'm a FF-aholic. But... you remember... I'm ALWAYS dressed up... so HOW? do I do it? I buy the NICE... dressed up flip flops (overpriced... but worth it)... I'm short... I wear heels 95% of the time... but sometimes I need a break! wow... Jason... sorry... I'm rambling now! defending the Flip Flop phenom is hard work!

thanks for the DOUBLE shout out!
~JL~
ps. Stay Hot w/ the 'greatest hits are for pansies!' you crack me up!

Anonymous said...

OK this part was hillarious "It's like Mr. Abercrombie and Mr. Fitch threw up all over over them."

I love it. Keep up the good work ~ You are quite the wordsmith!