10.12.2007

brain droppings...

Everyone thinks that their family puts the capital "D" in "dysfunctional." Yes. Everyone. Admit it.

If you really think about it - who determines what's TRULY "functional?"

We ALL function. Sometimes it's easy, and sometimes - not so much. There were times growing up when I thought I wouldn't make it. Hell - there are times NOW when I think the same.

I can't do it.
I won't make it.
I'm screwed.
I'm breaking down.
DAMNIT - I'm out of Vodka!
I wish I had some vicodin.

I've had friends and lost them. I've had girlfriends -and lost those too. Hell - I even managed to get rid of a wife. ;)

The one constant in my life has been my family. For all of our shortcomings - we're always there.

It's strange - you spend the first part of your life trying to avoid your family.

They're embarrassing. They're uncouth. They're the bane of our existence.

"Dad - stop it - you're embarrassing me."
"Mom - leave my hair alone - it looks fine."
"Little brother - get out of my room."
"Dude - you just cock-blocked me."

All of that eventually fades, and you come to realize that you've taken the things you like about your family, put them in a cuisinart, hit "puree" - and VOILA! You've got you.

As a clarification, family doesn't just mean we share the same lineage. Family includes the people who 'came to the party late,' and THEIR 'family.' People who are there for Birthday parties. People who just show up on Christmas Eve - even if it's just for the shrimp.

There are a finite number of people I'd cut my arm off for. I saw most of them tonight.

Happy Birthday you. Even though you "came to the party late," I'm WAY glad you made it. :)

Looks like I have to hit "puree" again...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

jay. that was awesome. esp since i've had so much turmoil w/ my family lately... dynamics are a changin... very good. i SO get it. ~penny lane~

Anonymous said...

Looking foward to seeing you after you have pureed. Wow. Pureed is a strange word. I had to double-check that one. It's right. Don't doubt me.

:p

I noticed you changed your headline - NICE!