10.19.2007

Impressive

My ex and I share custody and placement of our 8-year old son. For the uninformed, that means together, we make decisions for him. It also means he has two homes. Two rooms. Two separate sets of "stuff."

He spends every Wednesday night through Saturday afternoon with me at my place, and then Saturday nights through Wednesday mornings by his Mom. It's consistent - which is the best thing, in my opinion, for any child. Consistency.

Is it an ideal situation? Probably not, but it is what it is, and we make it work.

I HATE people in my situation who refer to themselves a a "single-parent." Get over yourself. You're not.

At the most - you're a PART-TIME single parent.

So anyway - my ex left for Boston last Friday. She returned late last night. (Thursday) I've had my son since then.

Alone.
By myself.
Flying solo.

I've never complained about taking care of my son - I'm supposed to. (Think: Chris Rock) I'd gladly take him more. This year, my ex's schedule has been such that I've had a LOT more time with my son than was "officially" laid out in our divorce decree.

It's awesome. I love it. Can't get enough of it.

Is it fun? Hell yes.
Is it easy? Hell NO!

My admiration goes out to real single parents.

Much respect.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

interesting. I'm still baffled at a man that takes so much interest IN his son. no... it can't be easy... ~jacks~